Ten reasons why I love matcha
Updated: Feb 6, 2022
One of Purple Crayon's first official copywriting projects was new labels for Fuji Tea & Coffee's ceremonial grade matcha. It was fascinating to learn about this super tea and how it is cultivated while researching and composing the copy. Since then, I've become a devoted matcha drinker.
Are you looking for an easy way to boost brain function, speed up your metabolism, improve heart health, protect your liver, detox and load up on antioxidants? What if just one cup of tea could do all of this, while also keeping you calm, focused and energised for hours? Popular in Japan and China for centuries because of its unique therapeutic properties, discover why a cup of matcha a day keeps the doctor away…
What is matcha? Matcha is a finely-ground powdered green tea from Japan. Matcha tea leaves are grown in the shade which makes them higher in chlorophyll and richer in nutrients. Matcha is more concentrated and potent than loose green tea because the entire leaf is consumed. Just one serving of matcha is equivalent to approximately 10 cups of steeped green tea.
Why drink matcha? There are so many reasons to enjoy this powerful super-tea daily, but here are my top ten:
1. It keeps you alert
Matcha contains more caffeine than regular green tea and is also high in L-theanine. This enhances brain function and memory while avoiding the crashes in energy levels that are associated with caffeine.
2. It can improve your mood
L-theanine increases levels of dopamine and serotonin in the brain. This helps combat negative thoughts and encourages a sense of well-being. L-theanine also promotes a state of relaxation and improves how the body responds to stress.
3. It supports the body’s natural detox system
Matcha’s high concentrations of chlorophyll and polyphenols help the liver to flush out toxins.
4. It has anti-aging properties Matcha is rich in catechins, which are natural antioxidants. Foods high in antioxidants are believed to slow down the ageing process by preventing oxidation, inhibiting mutation of DNA and restoring damaged DNA. In addition to this, antioxidants help neutralise free radicals that can attack healthy cells.
5. It’s packed full of anti-cancer compounds
Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is a catechin that has been scientifically proven to destroy, decrease and slow the growth of cancer cells. Matcha contains more EGCG than any other tea.
6. It strengthens the immune system
EGCG assists with the production of T-cells which reduce inflammation and fight pathogens. Matcha also contains high levels of anti-bacterial flavonoids.
7. It boosts the metabolism
EGCG stimulates the metabolism and has thermogenic, fat-burning qualities which can gently support weight loss and help the body maintain a healthy weight.
8. It reduces inflammation
Matcha can reduce inflammation and arthritis pain because EGCG suppresses the activity of pro-inflammatory chemicals produced in the body.
9. It reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke Studies have shown that green tea reduces levels of “bad” cholesterol and, when combined with a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle, protects against heart disease. Research published in the American Heart Association journal in 2013 found a 20% lower risk of stroke in those who regularly consumed green tea.
10. It’s delicious and easy to prepare
To make a cup of this remarkable, restorative tea, simply mix ½ - 1 teaspoon of matcha powder with hot water. Matcha can also be added to smoothies and raw desserts. Try combining it with sparkling water and a squeeze of lime for a refreshing thirst-quencher.
Why drink ceremonial grade matcha? Ceremonial grade matcha is derived from the youngest leaves to obtain the most antioxidants and the smoothest flavour, making this the finest green tea available. Fuji Tea & Coffee is a specialist store with branches on Kevin St. in Dublin and Pearse St. in Mullingar. Their website, fuji.ie, delivers worldwide. Follow @fuji_ireland for more information on their range and to avail of their special offers. Get in touch if you'd like a blog post like this one to showcase your brand.